Gotovac, Tomislav. Listening to the Radio, 1980. Performance
The second performance from the Homage to Josip Broz Tito cycle is "Listening to the Radio" performed by Tomislav Gotovac in the New Gallery New in Mihanovićeva street 28 in Zagreb from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. on April 1, 1980. The performances were photographed by Milisav Mio Vesović and Ognjen Beban.
It is the continuation of the Homage Tito cycle in which Gotovac used the mass communication media, in this case radio, to stress the psychosis surrounding the anticipation of the death of Yugoslav leader Tito. The artist also used subversive activity in his work, in which he did not criticize the regime, but encouraged people to think.
Zagreb Avenija Dubrovnik 17, Croatia 10000
Show on map
Year of creation
inv. br. MSU 2871 (2/4)
- Museum of Contemporary Art Zagreb
Author(s) of this page
- Bencetić, Lidija
1) Conversation with Zora Cazi-Gotovac and Darko Šimičić, January 9, 2018, Tomislav Gotovac Institute, Krajiška 29, Zagreb
2) Domljan, Žarko (ed). 1995. "Tomislav Gotovac." In Enciklopedija hrvatske umjetnosti, 307. Zagreb: Leksikografski zavod Miroslav Krleža
3) Gotovac, Tomislav. 2006. Antonio Gotovac Lauer: Čelična mreža = Steel net. Zagreb: Moderna galerija - Studio "Josip Račić"
4) Ilić, Aleksandar Battista, Nenadić Diana (ed). 2003. Tomislav Gotovac, monografija, Zagreb: Hrvatski filmski savez - Muzej suvremene umjetnosti
5) Lendvaj, Ana. "Slušanje radija." Večernji list (Zagreb), March 1, 1980, 22.
6) Marjanić, Suzana. "Živa slika, skulptura: ležanje kao živa mrtvost ili mrtva živost - oksimoron slike i skulpture." Kazalište 17, no. 59/60 (2014), 40-55.
Milovac, Tihomir , interview by Bencetić, Lidija , March 09, 2017. COURAGE Registry Oral History Collection