Acquisition of double lot next to the Ukrainian Museum-Archives
In 2010, the Ukrainian Museum-Archives acquired a double lot next door that had been occupied by the Holowczak Funeral Home. Along with the rest of the Ukrainian community, the Holowczaks moved to Parma sometime in the 1960s, opening another funeral home to serve the community there. The family had kept the building, but over time the lack of maintenance and repairs took its toll on the property. Down spots were stolen and water had poured into the foundation for the better part of 30 years. After purchasing the property for $250,000, the UMA tore down the building and put in a parking lot, which has been an additional source of revenue for the museum, and extended utilities from the street to the garage at the back. The next major construction project, aside from improvements to the museum building, will be transforming the garage into a conservation facility. The debt for the property was retired in 2017 and the museum is presently looking for funds for the conservation building. Once constructed, it will be a space for paper, book and textile conservation, for framing for shows, for storing materials in an environmentally sound, temperature and humidity controlled area, which will also serve as a staging area for receiving new donations. This will allow the UMA to quarantine new acquisitions until all problems with bugs, mold and other issues are dealt with. As with the archival building, this conversation facility will be a huge boon for the UMA and allow it to further expand operations.
Cleveland Kenilworth Avenue 1202, United States of America 44113
Show on map
Starting year of event
Author(s) of this page
- Kulick, Orysia Maria